Since it’s too cold right now to go out and gaze at the night sky, check out these great t-shirts to bring the night sky to you. Although they require some daytime preparation, they will be sure to make a fashion statement long after the sun goes down!
• Black or Navy Rock Bottom T-Shirt
• Con-Tact® Paper*
• Fabric Paint
• Cotton Swabs
• Foam Paint Brushes
• Glow-in-the-dark Paint
*Adhesive paper, available at any craft or school supply store
1. On the Con-Tact® paper, trace a round plate for a planet, or draw a waning moon and stars.
2. Cut from the center of the shape to create a stencil, then peel off the backing and press the stencil onto the shirt.
3. Insert a piece of cardboard between the shirt layers to keep the paint from bleeding through.
4. Use a paintbrush to fill in the shapes with fabric paint (we used white for the planet and moon, silver glitter for the stars).
5. After the paint dries, add a layer of glow-in-the-dark paint (we used orange for the planet, white for the rest).
6. When that paint is dry, peel off the stencil.
7. Add green glow-in-the-dark rings to the planet.
8. For small stars, use a cotton swab to dab glitter-paint dots onto the shirt.
9. Follow the fabric paint instructions for setting the design and washing your shirt