Who can resist the urge to refresh and clean a home after a long winter? Spring cleaning is a wonderful way to get much needed but often neglected household chores out of the way while giving the home a breath of fresh air.
Here are five tips to make spring cleaning easier and more effective.
1. The Closet – Often we do not realize just how many clothes and accessories are piled up in the closet. Rather than keep unnecessary things around, follow this rule: If an article of clothing hasn’t been worn for at least a year, it’s time to get rid of it.
2. Dusting Tips – Spring cleaning means cleaning from the top to the bottom. As you clean, dust and grime floats through the air and settles on furniture and flooring. To keep the areas that were just cleaned free of residue while working, dust the tops first, then the bottoms. Clean floors the very last.
3. Linen Closets – Go through the linen closet and discard shabby towels or linens. Turn them into dish towels or get rid of them entirely. If bed sheets have lost the elastic around the corners, it’s time to let them go.
4. Rearranging Furniture – Spring cleaning does not need to include moving large furniture, but changing wall hangings or even arranging the end tables differently can add a sense of freshness to a room, as well as inspire a sense of fun into your spring cleaning.Wash the curtains in the room and add a plant or a focal decorative point.
5. Finishing Touches – Now that the housework is down, you’re ready to apply the finishing touches. Scrub all the floors completely. If it is linoleum or wood flooring, get in the corners and scour and mop. This is also the perfect time to use a floor polish or shining product. If you have carpet instead of hard floors, now’s the time to shampoo it. At the end of your hard work, the house will be left looking brand new and everything will be organized. These small tips can make a house an oasis of comfort.
Bonus Tip: For an enhanced version of our first tip on cleaning your closets, you can take a look at our 2012 Spring Casual Fashion Prep post. It goes into which fashion colors will be hot this spring, what’s trending in fashion overall, as well as where you can find great comfort wear at affordable prices.