The countdown to Christmas is on and with that comes the annual Holiday Shopping Season. Below are some tips that allow you to shop responsibly for this year:
- Before starting your shopping, set a budget and stick to it! Determine how much you are going to spend and write it down on paper.
- Make a list of everyone you would like to give a gift, don’t forget Christmas parties at work, and folks you see or do business with regularly.
- Determine how much you are going to spend on each person before you start. This will make sure that you do not over spend.
- Don’t forget about gifts of service. Does your pastor and spouse have kids? Tell him that for Christmas you’d like to babysit them so that he and his wife can have a night together.
- Don’t forget gifts you can make. If you decided to make some gifts, determine which people will be getting those gifts and when you will be seeing them. If your office party is at the beginning of December, start scheduling when you are going to bake, create, or design now. Remember, most of us are very busy the week of Thanksgiving, so that week may be very unproductive.
- Do not buy yourself a gift. I’m guilty of it, and so is 70% of Americans. If you want something for yourself, wait until after the holidays.
- Do not “religiousize” your gift giving. Many of us sometimes get caught up in the mistaken belief that excess gift giving will bring us more in tune with the faith we are living. However, most faiths preach discipline, and ensuring your own financial security instead of overspending.
- Don’t forget about handwritten thank you notes to those that you just can’t work into your budget.
- If ordering online, pay attention to limits to obtain Free Shipping. (At Rock Bottom T-Shirts, we offer Free Economy Shipping to the Continental United States with a $50 order)
We encourage you to stay tuned to our Facebook page for special deals and offers between now and Christmas.
What tricks or tips do you have for the Holiday Shopping Season?